Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm Back... And Not Much Has Changed

For those of you who have been reading my Blogs, you might have noticed the lack of recent commentary from yours truly. Since I am still an unemployed (serving breakfast to picky eaters, again, does not count), most of my time has been spent either trying to find a job or trying to make some extra money. With that in mind, I recently went on a vacation to Yosemite. Last Monday I departed from the well connected world of television news programs, Internet news articles, and cell phone twitter feeds and ventured into the world of really tall trees, big black bears, lots of falling water, and sneaky squires whos only goal is to steal your lunch.

Although I welcomed the disconnect, I took it as a social experiment in living the life of one who could care less about what goes on in the world outside of their own experiences. I somewhat expected to come back to reality having missed a plethora of important news stories, feeling shocked to learn all that had happened while I was hiking half way to half dome. When I returned, the first thing I heard was that another Kennedy had died and that California was once again on fire. After returning home, I jumped right into serving people food for lunch, and dinner the next day- breakfast, lunch, and dinner- breakfast, registering guests for a wedding, and then making sure the wedding went smoothly.

Today was my first real day back into reality- ran all my errands, cleaned my car, and watched Kieth Olberman and Rachel Maddow. What a great day! So what had I missed??? Hum, people are still arguing about health care and all the politicians are still on vacation- some sick guy held girls in captivity- a DJ overdosed- mother nature is still kicking our butts- the Michael Jackson case is still full of questions and inquiry- and I still don't have a job.

So, nothing happened... nothing new, nothing surprising, nothing exciting, nothing shocking, nothing really news worthy. Republicans are still saying stupid things and people are still dying. What does this whole experiment teach me? Stop watching the news- what's the point really? Someone will tell me if something that affects me happens? Right? WRONG!! Why do I love the news? Not for times when nothing is happening- which is often, news can get stale, but for the times you are glued to the TV or talking to all your friends and family because you just can't believe what has happened!!

All in all, I am happy nothing happened, I am glad to come back to the world almost the same as I left it- more relaxed and a little sore but I could have predicted all that has happened and I'm ok with that. Now if something interesting happens, I'll be around to let everyone know how much I agree or disagree with it- that is the fun part.

So stick around for something exciting to happen- it might be tomorrow or next week but believe me, it'll happen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment