Monday, December 24, 2012

A place like home


If there was somewhere I would live in Israel, it would be Haifa. It's a beautiful bay with hills around me that remind me of home. Moreover, I've found my brand of Judaism, well as close as one could come in Israel, at our visit to Leo Beack Education Center. This K-12 school/ Synagogue/ JCC (without the J), is the best expression I've seen of Reform (or as they call it here 'Progressive' Judaism). I greatly enjoyed hearing about the programs they offer and their view of Progressive Judaism in Israel. 

One point I thought was exceptionally interesting was when the speaker said that more Jews like us need to move to the land of Isreal in order to help change the social tides and the hold the Hardai community has over Israeli society. When you actually examine the trends of those who make Aliyah (move to Israel), they tend to move back home within 5 years (or so was mentioned at the presentation). 

What this reminded me of was a presentation I heard earlier this year by David Cygelman the founder of Moshe House, a house based Jewish community for young adults where 4-5 young adults move into a house and put on 5-7 Jewish programs a month for other young Jewish adults. The model is quite successful and Dave spoke about his travels to each of the Moshe houses, 19 international houses and 34 houses in the US. One thing he found extremely different between the US houses and the international houses was their Israel programing. In the states, the programs was centered around culture- food, dance, music, language, etc. For the international houses it was much more centered around political affairs, current events, economic issues, for the purpose of knowing that one day they might have to move to Israel if their community decides they no longer want Jews in their country. This is not the fear of Jews in the US, this is why we are not moving here in large numbers. 

This was my initial point when I began my blog- why Israel, when life in LA as a Jew is so great and that will not change in the foreseeable future? This also goes back to the point my classmate made about the view of her mother that Jews are not safe anywhere and at any moment they might have to flee to Israel. I don't share that sentiment and maybe it is naive.

The other places we visited was the Yemin Orde Youth Village for up to 500 children who are either recent immigrants or troubled youth. The goal of the village is a cultural transformation for these children and a place for them to come to terms with their troubled past in order to mix with other ethnicities and gain the tools to be a productive member of Israeli society. This model was also used in creating the Agahoza Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda where many of my friends have spent a year with the orphans and refugee children who live there. The idea of the model is that it can be translated across nations providing the same success they have achieved with their residence. It is a lovely organizaiton doing really great work!

The other place we visited was an organization called Kayan who works with Arab women to help them organize for change in their communities. Their greatest success has been getting public transportation to Arab villages. It helped me better understand the Arab population and their struggles in Israel. 

On our drive to Haifa, I was able to listen to some of my favorite radio (podcast) shows, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!, This American Life, and Slate's Political Gabfest. I've also been able to keep up with Rachel Maddow as I download her shows when I have wifi. This is a welcome treat for me as these shows are part of my regular life at home. Many of my classmates do not have this connection (as I've stated earlier), I believe making it easier for them to connect to Israel. Before going to bed last night I read iRAC's newsletter and for better or worse, felt nothing. I feel as if I'm trying to fit into a mold in which I do not fit. I'm an American Jew and (maybe as a result of my news loving non-Jewish father, sorry dad) care far more about what happens in the US, my home, than I do about the struggles of the people in Israel. 

This is there home, not mine, I'm thrilled to know that they are fighting, that democracy can work even if it is created out of rubble by a society of people who have never known democracy or liberal ideas and if anything it solidifies my belief in democracy, the power of the many over the few. I keep coming back to the question, why should I care? 

Today we discuss this more as a group, meet with Jeremy Fisher of the Reut Institute, and hear from Prof Gindi Shimoni. Maybe my question can be answered. What I do know is that I am greatly enjoying learning about Israel from different perspectives, absorbing the culture, and struggling with these issues. Clarity will come, whether is it to solidify my previous sentiments or to create new ones is yet to be seen.

2 comments:

  1. Read the title of your blog; Nothing in Black and White. You are certainly getting a much more intellectual experience than most Jews who go to Israel for the food, the dance the music, then go back to the U.S. unchanged by any of the reality of what is going on or any understanding at all as to why. Worse, they do not even care to ask the questions. You may never find the answers, but in our religion, it's the questioning that matters most. Keep asking the tough questions and never take "Because I said so" as an answer...unless it comes from your Jewish mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I feel as if I'm trying to fit into a mold in which I do not fit."

    Please don't try to fit into anyone's mold. You are an individual, with unique talents, views, and insight. Be true to yourself, not the expectations of others.

    "I'm an American Jew and ... care far more about what happens in the US, my home, than I do about the struggles of the people in Israel."

    Don't blame that on your "news loving non-Jewish father" and never be sorry for your own best judgment. Pursue truth, not acceptance.

    ReplyDelete