Sunday, December 23, 2012

As the dust settles


Today has been quite mellow for me. I heard from Mike Prashka about the importance of shared citizenship identity among the diverse population in Israel, then we heard about the social investment projects going on, then from Rabbi Michael Marmir from HUC about the role of the Reform movement in Israel, and lastly about the tech industry and the role of business in Israel. In my mind I kept the question, why should I care. When I asked Rabbi Michael Marmur this question his basic answer is that he did not understand how one could say they care about Jews except for the Jews in Israel, that we are one people.

Although I can not identify with the million plus ultra-orthodox Jews in Israel, I can on some level identify with the remainder of Israeli citizens. But how much more time should I devote in my life to Israel in the same way that I devote a portion of my life to the Jews in NY or the Jews in Amsterdam? I feel so critical, why can't I just love Israel and want it to be a part of my life? Why is this such a struggle?

I didn't get a chance to ask Rabbi Michael Marmur about his feeling regarding the Haradi community and the fact we are not considered Jewish but something along the lines of 'love they neighbor as thyself', even if they hate you, it is your Jewish responsibility to love them.

Israel is a young country made up of immigrants whom a majority came from non-democratic and non-liberal countries. As difficult as it is for me to wrap my mind around what I am experiencing, I'm sure it's just as difficult for people in Israel to wrap their minds around my brand of Judaism or the US political system in which I enjoy.

The director of my program, Richard Siegel, pointed out that previous seminars (these seminars happen every two years) focused much more on the Palestinian conflict and our seminar will not even touch upon that topic at all. This is the case because the areas we are exploring are becoming more relevant in Israeli society. Things are changing, democracy is taking hold and the people are getting involved with helping mold Israel into the country it should be.

So if it is my responsibility to be involved, how would that look for me? How do I take my American Jewish values and help them be expressed in Israel because this is supposed to be my land too? Of all the speakers we've heard, the one that resonated most with my values is Anat Hoffman from iRAC, Israel Religious Action Center. I've signed up for their e-mail newsletter and will try to bring it home with me.

There are still a few days left in this trip and a few weeks after I return home before classes begin again, to process and digest, to figure out how I will internalize Israel and how it will look in my personal and professional life. Today I'm less sad, less angry, just trying to keep my mind open and absorb all that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment