Monday, July 20, 2009

Housing complex owners vote to ban smoking -- inside homes!

I can't exactly pin point when people actualy came to the realization that smoke was gross but its spreading. Smoking bans began in the early 1990s with California leading the way and New York soon to follow. 19 years later, there are still 15 states in which one can smoke in a restaurant, a bar, their home, their yard, at a school, or at an open shopping mall, I'm sure there are even places you can smoke inside a shopping mall.

This is weird for me as I grew up in California and my memories begin right about the early 90s. I do remember visiting my grandparents in New York and being ostracized from the rest of the restaurant and hidden behind wooden bars- I suppose to keep the smoke in. More recently there have been bans of smoking in apartment complexes, as the smoke goes through the air system and into non-smokers apartments. Not that there would be any more toxins in the air than if that person were to walk outside in LA and breath, its still a good excuse.

When you really come to think about it, smoking is gross. It makes you smell gross, it makes you look gross, it makes you feel gross- you get my point. What is even grosser than smoking is smoking indoors, both my parents smoke indoors and everything is always all yellow, sticky, and smelly. My sister rented an apartment where the previous owner had smoked inside, even though they 'painted' over it, every time she took a shower the ceiling would drip tar. Disgusting, right?

To keep with the spirit of indoor smoking being gross, think about the people you know who smoke indoors- they're kinda gross too. So if you are living in a housing development and someone moves it and smokes inside, not only does your house smell if you share a wall, trying to sell the property would be hard, and you have to live next to someone who is gross. I think every complex should have the same ban and I am surprised that not all states at least don't allow it in restaurants. I would say that air planes are the only place nation wide where you can't smoke, no matter what, which is awesome! Just imagine sitting on a 5 hour plan ride next go a guy who light up every 1/2 an hour- ew!

So the point to my story is that a housing complex in Eau Claire, Wisconsin has decided to ban smoking inside of people's home. The controversy? Even though no one who lives in the complex smokes, they don't think what one does in the privacy of their own home is their own business. Impeding on people's rights? Not really, if you don't like it, don't move there. Personally I think they should ban smoking everywhere public- you can smoke on a slab behind the Wal Mart, that's it...

Here is the link to the article, where you can also read about 'Moments in Life' in Eau Claire, WI and get $100 tickets to
Bud Light's Country Jam Festival... YEHAW!!

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BKKD5TMRL20

No comments:

Post a Comment